Flea Control Methods For Your Pet’s

With fleas and ticks being the most common parasites found on dogs and cats, pet parents have become well aware of the treatments that help them control these harmful creatures. However, still many pet owners lack the knowledge about which is the best treatment to be given to their furry pal according to their environment and the intensity of the infestation.

To Control Fleas On The Pet

To Control Fleas On The Pet

Pet parents normally use flea shampoos as a preventive, which kills the fleas on the pet at that moment but normally they are harsh on them. Usually, this method will not control the fleas from re-infesting the pets. Added to this, shampoos also wash the topical solutions off the dog/cat’s skin, therefore making the medication ineffective. The normal flea and tick topical treatments are just harsh chemicals, which are not effective but harmful for pets especially cats. The amount of money wasted buying these products could be used to purchase a brand product that will actually work for your pet. And the vet recommended flea treatments are the best for the furry animals. Frontline Plus, Advantage and K9 Advantix are some of the branded and effective flea and tick topical remedies. Using these products monthly will help in preventing flea infestation. Some pets are crabby about topical medications, for such animals treating with oral medications would be much easier. Capstar, Comfortis, NexGard are some of the oral medications. An important thing to remember about Capstar is that it is fastest flea treatment and works for 24 hours only. It is highly recommended when a pet is suffering from heavy flea infestation.

To Control Fleas In The Environment

To Control Fleas In The Environment


Generally, the adult fleas that you see on your pet are only 5% of the flea lifecycle. The other 95% consists of flea eggs, larvae and pupae that reside in your carpet, beds, wardrobes, couches, hardwood floors, crevices of the floor and the walls and the other dark areas of the house. Leaving the house without treating for the fleas, it is undesirable that the flea treatments on your pooch/kitty will be able to debar these blood sucking creatures that they are facing. Many animal specialists will not recommend using flea bombs as home treatments due to the chemicals in them. Moreover, these bombs create the fog that just works on the surface areas leaving behind the dark hidden areas, where normally 95% of young flea population resides. Therefore, most vet recommends flea sprays that can effectively active fleas and ticks preventing infestations.

Here Are The Steps For Treating The House:

Treating The House

  • Remove all the bedding including pet bedding, rugs, fabricated items that can be replaced with the new ones after treatment.
  • Vacuum all the areas before treating with flea and tick spray as this will sensitize the pupae (immature stage of flea) from their shielded cocoons. Do not forget to discard the vacuum bag after its use as it contains all the juvenile stages of fleas. In case you are using the vacuum without a bag, you need to discard all the contents and wash the container properly after use.
  • Spray the flea preventive in all the areas – seen and unseen. If you have pets in the house, it is better to treat the rooms one at a time. Treat the room and all its contents with the spray and close it until the product dries. Repeat the same procedure in all the areas of the house.
  • Once the area is dry, vacuum areas again and discard the vacuum bag. Again if you are using vacuum minus bag, discard the contents from the container and wash it thoroughly.
  • Repeat the whole procedure every 2 weeks for at least 2 months to completely eradicate the pupae stages of the fleas. This is done because this stage of a flea is quite tough to destroy due to its protective layer of cocoon. Repeating the treatment 2 weeks is most likely to kill adult fleas which will emerge out of these cocoons.

[Read] Buy Flea and Tick Control Products


yard treatments

Not only pets and house, flea and tick are also responsible to infest your yard. Therefore, it is highly recommended to treat backyard as you are treating your house. Yard is no different the breeding ground similarly to your house. As home treatments, there are several yard treatments for fleas available in the market. When looking to treat your yard the major ingredient that you need to look is IGR (Insect Growth Regulator). This product is not only effective in killing the adult fleas and ticks but also the immature stages – eggs, larvae and pupae. Similar to your home treatment, your yard should be treated in 2 weeks for more effective results.